23 maja 2015 at 21:03

On 17th November 1923, five years after Poland regained it independence, the BIGGEST AND MOST MODERN RADIO STATION in the WORLD was built in a small township of Babice on the outskirts of Warsaw. It cost the newly re-born country 3 million American dollars then, which would be roughly 300 million today. And – yes- it was designed to communicate with the United States of America by means of the radio signal using the Morse code. Now HOLD YOUR BREATH… it was capable of spanning the WHOLE PLANET with its signal. It was 10 towers, 127 metres high each. The whole object was 4 kilometres long. It was the twin construction to the Swedish Vardberg in Grimeton ( The Trans-Atlantic Radio-Telegraphic Station was the full name, but it could also simply be called the Babice Radio Station.

The opening ceremony hosted the country’s top officials: Stanislaw Wojciechowski – The President of the Republic of Poland, Wojciech Trąmczyński – the Speaker of the Polish Senate, Maciej Rataj – the Speaker of the Polish House of Commons as well as many ministers, generals, clergy and diplomats. President Wojciechowski exchanged telegraphic messages with John Calvin Coolige, the President of the United States.

And there came 1939. No later than on the first day of the war (1st September) a squadron of Junkers Ju 87 (Stuka) dive bombers was given orders to bomb the station. It was not to happen on that day though because 30 Polish airplanes of the fighter squadron engaged in a battle with them. On 8th September 1939 the German 4th Panzer Unit took the Station. On 10th Poles sent fifteen 7TP tanks there and took on the Germans. Unfortunately, despite extensive German loss the attack failed and Poles retreated. On 13th they gathered more forces and succeeded. On the night of 14th September the 3rd Infantry Battalion led by lieutenant major Jacek Decowski reclaimed the Station together with the old Babice Fort. By that time the Polish operators of the Station had gone already. This became the westernmost point of Warsaw’s defense system. 17th September saw HELL UNLEASHED… and by 25th general Johannes Blaskowitz of the 8th German Army decided to do away with this Polish point of resistance at the Radio Station. The assault of the 19th Infantry Unit had been preceded by hours of artillery bombardment. Major Decowski took on the attack cool as a cucumber for he had prepared the defenses meticulously. It came to bayonets in a few places. Result: the Germans failed and their commander Heesch fell in battle. That drove the Germans up the wall and they unleashed artillery hellfire. On 26th they launched a full-scale attack. The 3rd Battalion withstood. A report in Warsaw’s Defense Headquarters said: “The fate of the 3rd Battalion on Warsaw’s outskirts of Babice is unknown. The whole settlement is covered in thick smoke and dust, and the incessant thunder of the mighty, concentrated artillery bombardment hinted that NO ONE would survive that hell”. On 27th September the defending forces ran low on munitions. That day Germans managed to break the defense several times but they were repelled each time. In the face of unnecessary life loss among the officers and their battalion and due to the fact that very few were actually able to fight on, major Jacek Decowski decided to quit. German general Kranz ordered to gather all the Polish survivors and the fallen and count them. He could not believe that a single detached battalion could have withstood a whole German Division. He did not hold back his respect for Lieutenant Jacek Decowski and set the bravery of 3rd Battalion of the 26th Infantry Unit as an example for his own soldiers. It was only a few hours later that the Polish capitol capitulated. Major Jacek Decowski was deemed fallen and awarded a Virtuti Militari medal by general Julian Rommel. In actual fact Decowski was taken hostage and died of heart attack on 5th July 1941 in the POW camp in Murnau at the age of 45.

The Germans eventually took over the Radio Station and USED IT to communicate with their Krigsmarine submarines preying the waters of the Atlantic as well as to COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH JAPAN. On 16th January 1945 they blew the whole object up and the vibration caused by the falling towers could be felt miles away.